Supplement information: FOLIC ACID (FOLACIN; FOLATE; PTEROILMONOGLUTAMIC ACID; VITAMIN B-9)
Water soluble vitamin essential for healthy pregnancy.
- dark green leafy vegetables
- brewers yeast
- whole grain
- orange juice
- RNA and DNA synthesis
- red blood cell production
- metabolism of proteins
- vital for development of neural tube
- lower blood level of homocysteine
- lower the risk of heart disease by preventing damage of the endothelium
- protect against cancer of the colon and rectum
- poor growth
- inflamed and sore tongue
- numbness and tingling in the hands and feet
- irritability, depression
- diarrhea, indigestion
- impaired wound healing
- reduced resistance to infection
- birth defects
- premature birth
- cervical cancer and dysplasia
400 - 800 mcg.
First trimester of pregnancy: 600 mcg.
Nursing women: 500 mcg.
Europian RDA: 200 mcg
|Maximum safe level||
400 mcg (long - term usage)
700 mcg (short - term usage)
Daily intake of folic acid in adults should not exceed 1000 mg.
Very high doses of folic acid may trigger seizures in people with epilepsy.
- antiepileptic drugs
|High risk groups||
- pegnant and lactating women
- people with malabsorption, coelic and inflammatory intestinal diseases
- folic acid (pteroilmonoglutamic acid), folate, methyl - folate (methyl - tetrahydrogen folate)
- folic acid has the best absorption
- metil - THF has the best usability
- in combination with other B-vitamins, multivitamin, vitamin-mineral and prenatal formulas