Supplement information: BETA - CAROTENE (PRO - VITAMIN A)
Fat soluble non-essential vitamin A precursor
- yellow fruit
- yellow and leafy vegetables
- carrots, spinach
- sweet potato
- spirulina, alfaalfa
- wheat grass
- free - radical fighter
- protect against damage caused by UV rays
- enhance the immune system
It is not possible to develop true beta-carotene deficiency. However alcohol consumption decrease beta - carotene in liver.
People with hypothyroidism and diabetes may have trouble converting beta - carotene in vitamin A.
20 000 - 50 000 IU. (12 000 - 30 000 mcg)
No RDA has been established.
Natural beta-carotene: retinol = 12:1
Synthetic beta-carotene: retinol = 6:1
|Maximum safe level||
- syntethic beta - carotene may increase the risk of lung cancer in smokers.
- 60mg/day short-term and 30 g/day long-term may cause yellow skin color.
- liver disease
- kidney disease
- mineral oil
- vitamin E
- usually by itself or in combination with other carotens or vitamins and minerals